I'm a PhD student in biomathematics, working on stochastic individual-based models of evolution in spatially structured populations. My other interests include cryptography, programming games and puzzles, photography and graphic design.
Please consider any (original) code I post to Stack Overflow and other Stack Exchange sites to be released under CC-Zero unless stated otherwise. You may do whatever you want with it and don't have to credit me in any way, although of course that would be nice.
In addition, to avoid ambiguity regarding the open source status of CC-Zero, you may also use, copy, modify, and/or distribute any original code I have posted on any Stack Exchange sites under the terms of the ISC license or any other OSI approved open source license, unless explicitly stated otherwise. If doing so, please use the copyright statement "Copyright <year of posting> Ilmari Karonen" if no other copyright statement is provided.
I am the main author and maintainer of the Stack Overflow Unofficial Patch (SOUP), a user script for browsers with GreaseMonkey-compatible user script support (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, possibly Edge) that fixes or works around a number of outstanding issues with the Stack Exchange user interface.
I tend to answer a lot more questions than I ask. Some answers I'm rather proud of:
- How does light bend around my finger tip? — my first ever 100+ score answer!
- An implementation of the ISAAC cipher in PHP
- Galois fields in cryptography, or, "what is that GF(pn) thing anyway?"
- Making the background of an image transparent in Gimp
- Improve your game physics with Velocity Verlet
- Computing the Pareto frontier when you can choose multiple options
- Why is the letter “h” used to denote entropy?
- Damm check digit algorithm for base 2n (2 ≤ n ≤ 32)
- Estimating a variable event rate using exponential smoothing
- Stack Overflow 40.8k 40.8k 77 gold badges7676 silver badges133133 bronze badges
- Cryptography 39.8k 39.8k 33 gold badges8787 silver badges158158 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 28.2k 28.2k 55 gold badges7979 silver badges151151 bronze badges
- Mathematics 21.1k 21.1k 22 gold badges5353 silver badges9090 bronze badges
- Code Golf 19.5k 19.5k 33 gold badges4545 silver badges9595 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 466 What is the >>>= operator in C?
- 456 How does light bend around my finger tip?
- 315 Making the background of an image transparent in Gimp
- 168 Why can't we see images reflected on a piece of paper?
- 166 How can I test whether a die is fair?
- 156 Difference between the Accept and Content-Type HTTP headers
- 135 What is the main difference between a key, an IV and a nonce?
- View more network posts →