I'm a graduate student in planetary science. My primary areas of interest are scientific computing, magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) and software engineering. I've studied the Sun by running massively parallel simulations and analyzing the results. I currently study the MHD of Saturn's thermosphere.
I have been programming for many years. I may not be in a position to be able to answer a lot at this time, but I can still contribute by voting up/down and/or modifying others' answers! :-)
Areas of interest are listed below, in descending order of familiarity.
Operating System Experience:
- Mac OS X
- Linux (generic)
- Windows XP and later (limited)
- Supercomputing environments (generic, limited)
- TI OS (TI-84+) :-)
- zOS (IBM mainframes, limited)
Programming Language Experience
- Fortran (90 and later)
- MATLAB / Octave
- BASH scripting
- HTML5, PHP (limited experience)
- [I am familiar with several others.]
- Makefile scripting
- CSS (limited)
Experience by Topic
- Fourier Transforms (FFTW, (D)FFTPACK5.1, MATLAB), though less so when it comes to signal analysis applications
- Finite difference methods (ordinary, combined-compact, uniform or nonuniform grids)
- Spectral transform and psuedospectral methods for solving partial differential equations
- General numerical analysis
- Plasma physics
- Solar physics
- OpenGL (very limited)
Member for 7 years, 8 months
5 profile views
Last seen Feb 9 '18 at 21:15
- Academia 5k 5k 22 gold badges1818 silver badges4343 bronze badges
- Role-playing Games 2.2k 2.2k 88 silver badges3232 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 1.6k 1.6k 33 gold badges1313 silver badges3131 bronze badges
- Cross Validated 1.3k 1.3k 22 gold badges88 silver badges1414 bronze badges
- Arqade 1.1k 1.1k 99 silver badges2121 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 102 When should linear regression be called "machine learning"?
- 75 What's a good way to prevent students from saying I lost their paper?
- 66 What's a good way to prevent students from saying I lost their paper?
- 34 What would an inclusive curriculum look like in a computer science course?
- 29 How to move from makeindex to xindy?
- 26 What does an absolute novice need to learn to make a successful emergency landing?
- 26 Should I hold the same writing standards for international students as I do for domestic students?
- View more network posts →