It happens from time to time/all the time that I realize that the answer someone else has given to a question is better than the answer I gave.
This also happens in situations where the questioner has already marked my answer as "accepted".
I then feel embarrassed.

Apart from informing the questioner in a comment or via an edit of my own answer that I think another answer is better than the one I gave, what other options do I have as an answerer to push for the marking to be changed so that instead of my answer, the better answer is marked as "accepted"?

  • 6
    Good question, but I fear you may be doomed. In at least some cases, once an answer is given that works, the OP goes away and doesn't come back. By explicitly calling attention to another answer you think is better, you'll at least help out someone else in the future. Sep 22, 2021 at 16:10
  • 4
    You could edit in a "See this answer" banner. Unfortunately quote marking is no longer as good as it once was Sep 23, 2021 at 1:07
  • 6
    SE will most likely unpin the accepted answer network-wide soon (see also our own meta discussion), so if the other answer has more votes than yours it will be shown on top. Your answer will still be marked as Accepted but it will be less prominent.
    – Marijn
    Sep 23, 2021 at 9:45


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .