Is it acceptable to ask general typesetting questions on TeX.SE, even if not TeX- or LaTeX-related? If not (or maybe even if so), is there another or a better place where such questions belong?

For example, conventions for how to layout text in a document, indentation, etc.

EDIT: Based on comments, I'm trying here on Graphics.SE.

  • Your question is a little bit confusing. Could you make an example of what you mean?
    – Diaa
    Aug 24, 2016 at 15:25
  • @DiaaAbidou - I edited the question.
    – cp.engr
    Aug 24, 2016 at 15:28
  • 2
    Maybe I should say "typography" instead of "typesetting"?
    – cp.engr
    Aug 24, 2016 at 15:29
  • I understand what you mean. I think you should refer to the meta guidelines. Maybe these inquiries are irrelevant, but better you check by yourself.
    – Diaa
    Aug 24, 2016 at 15:33
  • @DiaaAbidou, I clarified that I mean on the tex site, not meta.tex site. Would the meta guidelines still (maybe) apply? If so, can you provide a link?
    – cp.engr
    Aug 24, 2016 at 15:35
  • I am sorry, I haven't gone through it yet :). Just wait until someone gives you the correct answer for your question.
    – Diaa
    Aug 24, 2016 at 15:43
  • 5
    I don't think that such questions are very successful here, since they tend to provoke opinion-based answers or are just too broad
    – user31729
    Aug 24, 2016 at 15:44
  • 8
    graphicdesign.stackexchange.com has a typography tag. So you could ask there. Depending on what exactly you have in mind, one of the language SXs, Maths.SX, or Academia might also be worth a shot. If your question is very intricately related to (La)TeX you should of course ask here. The examples above however, will probably be a bit too broad for us.
    – moewe
    Aug 24, 2016 at 16:07
  • 1
    Related: Where do questions about printing go?
    – Werner Mod
    Aug 25, 2016 at 6:15
  • @moewe: How about transforming your comment into a 'proper' answer? ;-)
    – user31729
    Aug 25, 2016 at 20:22
  • @moewe TeX.SX also has a typography tag, so OP could also ask here. One has to keep in mind though that here one should ask about concrete implementations of typography. For an opinion-based discussion there is also our friendly chat-room. Aug 25, 2016 at 22:35
  • @HenriMenke Mhhh, yes that is what I was getting at in my second-to-last sentence. Questions about typography on this page are mostly about implementation and sometimes about TeX-nicalities, but rarely about general typographical advice.
    – moewe
    Aug 26, 2016 at 7:15

1 Answer 1


We have a typography tag on this page. The questions there though should be more about how to achieve certain typographical features in TeX or about TeX-nical typography (e.g. a question about whether to use : or \colon). More general typography questions are probably "too broad" or "primarily opinion-based" here.

For more general typography questions you could try Graphic Design Stack Exchange, they also have a dedicated typography tag.

Depending on what exactly the question is about you could also ask at one of the language sites, Maths or Academia

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .