In some examples in the main forum, I have seen code examples which contain the following scenarios.
- Using names of actual institutions, where the institution is no way a known-to-everyone one. Using the names here will promote the name of the institution, and the act may be considered to bordering on commercial promotion. Moreover, use of the actual name is not essential at all for the example. Other names could have been easily used, perhaps making the example more interesting.
- Using commercial brand names in examples. Again, the act may be considered to bordering on commercial promotion. And again, use of the commercial name is not essential at all for the example.
I refrain from putting actual links to those examples for two reasons,
- I do not want to point finger to any particular member.
- Putting links will actually aid the commercial promulgation.
Now the issues we can discuss here are,
- How ethical do you think these acts are?
- How do you think we can stop the acts? Simply reporting them will not solve the issue. The examples are otherwise very good and useful. Editing and getting them peer reviewed will be very time consuming for the community.