There is a post in Meta.SE that is seeking some volunteer sites to test an adjustment of voting privilege (currently set at 15 to upvote and 125 to downvote). There are a few changes, but the highlights are.
What would change for sites participating in this test?
There are three main privilege changes happening here as part of our test:
- Reputation required to cast upvotes is changing from 15 to 1
- Reputation required to cast downvotes is changing from 125 to 1
- The 1 reputation cost to downvote answers will be removed We will notify logged-in users with <125 rep to let them know that they can vote with a popup.
To understand motivations for new downvoters, the first few downvotes from a <125-rep user would require them to explain their downvote - this information will not be posted anywhere, but will instead be collected by our research team and bucketed into categories so that we can better understand reasons people downvote.
Our community's voting behaviour is most likely different from other sites. Even so, we do have many new users who take part in our platform, so the base of contribution here might be big.
Should we volunteer?
- Upvote = Support this test
- Downvote = Oppose this test
Also consider adding an answer or comment explaining your motivation.